How Large Is Large?

I don't know about you, but I can't quite get my mind around the magnitude of various bodies in the universe, and I don't just mean the size of galaxies or even the distance between them. Planets the size of Saturn and Jupiter are enough to completely befuddle me, and they are the equivalent of specks of dust in comparison with our sun, which is itself insignificant relative to other stars.

If you're anything like me and need some help to visualize just how incredibly large bodies can get, the following animation should help... although it probably won't help if you're already feeling quite insignificant :)


And if that's still not enough for you, here is more and more.
.

2 comments:

  1. I've put together a lot more here:
    http://xixidu.net/2010/01/21/the-ultimate-collection-of-scaling-visualisations/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some excellent stuff, XiXiDu!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Embed this blog on your site