Cosmos: Harmony of the Worlds

Yesterday's entry on the dramatic orbits of the stars surrounding the black hole in the center of our galaxy reminded me of Kepler's laws of planetary motion and the monumental intellectual achievement his discoveries represented in the history of natural philosophy: the universe operates according to regular, predictable patterns.

So here it is, the story of Kepler's work, his relationship with the infamous Tycho Brahe, the Pythagorean and Platonic influence that inspired him, and the interesting mix of critical thinking and mysticism that fueled his investigations, all narrated by the inimitable Carl Sagan.



Click here to watch other episodes of this wonderful series.
.

2 comments:

  1. Now I know why you were mumbling about orbits and stars in your sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I mumble about in my sleep?!? Well, at least I'm not getting myself into trouble... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Embed this blog on your site