Self-Recognition in Apes

One of those features that are supposed to make us uniquely human is our ability to recognize ourselves in a mirror. As has been the case with every previous attempt to identify our 'unique' abilities, however, it turns out we're not that unique after all...



And if you're wondering whether I've run this test on my little niece, the answer is: hell yeah! I started doing it since she was just a few weeks old...

I also tried to test whether she had the residual ability to support her own weight by hanging from my fingers when she was two weeks old, the way that baby chimpanzees do, but my sister did not let me... apparently she doesn't love science as much as I do... :)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Embed this blog on your site