The Church of the Holy Undecided

This is simply precious and amazing on so many levels: poet/comedian Les Barker delivers the ultimate agnostic prayer with lots of wit, irony and humor, exploiting this rich paradox down to its last drop.


Brothers and sisters;
I speak to you today in the Church of the Holy Undecided;
I wanna hear you say "Yeah!"
I wanna hear you say "No!"

We are gathered here together,
Sister side by side with brother,
To proclaim we are Agnostic;
Don't know one way or the other.

In this, we won't be shaken,
Though hard the winds may blow;
In doubt we are united
And we cry: "We do not know!"

Brothers and sisters;
I wanna hear you say "Eeeeeeaaaahhhh!"
I wanna hear you say "There are two sides to this, you know!"

We hold no fear of persecution,
It pains us not to be derided
As we stand here in the Church
Of the Holy Undecided.

Oh my brothers and my sisters,
I know I speak for you
When I say we know for certain
That we haven't got a clue.

Brothers and sisters;
I wanna hear you say "It's beyond my comprehension!"
I wanna hear you say "Well, it's a bugger, isn't it?"

I believe that some believe
Just their beliefs are true,
Do I believe what they believe?
I don't believe I do

O my friends, be ye contented,
For ignorance is bliss;
We stand foursquare behind our message
And we don't know what it is.

Brothers and sisters;
I wanna hear you say "I am not a sheep!"
I wanna hear you say "I will not mindlessly do everything I am told!"

We know that we don't know,
So let our vision still be pure;
We are Agnostic Fundamentalists;
We're fundamentally unsure.

Peace, my sisters and my brothers;
The Agnostic does not smite;
We are tolerant of others;
There's a chance they might be right.

Brothers and sisters;
I wanna hear you say "Death to nobody whatsoever!"
I wanna hear you say "The infidel might have a good point, you know!"

Reposted from One Good Move.
.

4 comments:

  1. The proper title of the piece is "The Church of the Wholly Undecided."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The line "I wanna hear you say "Eeeeeeaaaahhhh!" is incorrect. It should read "I wanna hear you say "Errrrrrrr!" (because we're undecided so we don't know whether to say Yes or No). Also incorrect is the line "Though I believe what they believe" which makes that verse nonsensical. The correct version is "Do I believe what they believe?" I am quoting these corrections from one of Les Barker's books, "The Mrs Ackroyd Periodic Table Book" which contains this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarifications, JohnOfStony! I've updated the entry with one of your corrections. I'm keeping the other just because of what it sounds like during the performance, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Embed this blog on your site